2nd Shift... You are NOT my Enemy!

As you know, when Dan was put on 2nd shift I had a lot of trouble adjusting to his new schedule.  However, after almost 5 months I feel like this is now bearable and even normal life.

The drawbacks of second shift are many. Dan and I don't get to see each other like we were able to before. We have adjusted to this by me staying up much later to see him for just a few minutes when he gets home from work.  This could be 12 o'clock or even 1 o'clock so we get a few minutes to chat about his evening or watch a favorite show together. Dan also will get up in the morning so we can talk while I get ready for work. It's not much, but it is better than nothing! It's not about quantity it's about quality... right?

On the days he has to work, I focus on getting as much done as possible so when his days off come around we are able to spend them together instead of doing chores around the house.  This is often difficult with his rotating schedule since most of his days off fall on the days that I'm actually at work, but you get the point right :)

The hardest thing I have had to adjust to is just being alone. It was so hard for me to eat dinner by myself or just to sit around the house working on my homework alone.  It's amazing how a human body in the house helps you not to feel so isolated. However, I've finally overcome this... it took awhile... but I'm over it now.  Remington and I now have a routine for most nights that it is just me and him.

  • 5:00 pm - 5:30 pm  Remi and I eat dinner together
  • 5:30 pm - 6:30ish pm We watch a little TV, read, and cuddle on the couch
  • 6: 30 pm - 7:30 pm I do chores around the house... Remi helps me
  • 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm I workout or run
  • 9:00 pm - 9:30ish pm Remi and I go on a walk together
  • 9:30 pm - 11:00ish pm Work on homework or other things until Dan arrives home


    I think the best thing that has come out of this time spent by myself is that Remington and I's relationship is much much stronger than ever before.  Of course, when Dan is home he is still Dan's dog :)  But those times when it's just me and him we are BFF's!  He has learned that I'm just as much his boss as Dan is, which is a huge relief and so much easier on me!  I'm amazed at what a good boy he has been for me since this routine has started. Yep... he's my buddy and no, I probably could not live without him!

    We'll probably just get adjusted to this shift and then they'll switch him again... o'well :)

    No comments:

    BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS