Thankful Thursday (Healthy Dog)

Today I'm thankful for a healthy dog. Between Monday and Wednesday of this week Remington has been very sick. This is probably as sick as I've ever seen him except when he had his anal glands removed.

It started on Monday evening after we picked him up from the boarding facility we took him to over the weekend. I'm sure he picked up a bug of some sort there since I can't think of what else it possibly could have been.


So, like I said... Monday evening it started... the diarrhea... in massive amounts...

Tuesday... it continued. Remington was having to go every hour all day and all night.

Dan and I were both exhausted. We even woke up at one point on Tuesday night hearing Remington crying! I couldn't find him anywhere upstairs and to my surprise, after rushing downstairs, he was sitting by the door crying to go out! I felt awful for my boy! It was during this time that we noticed blood in his stool! We all crawled back into bed... and then 30 minutes later Remington vomited up his dinner from that evening... all over our bed... talk about disgusting!

At this point I was a very concerned Dog Mom. I was worried about him becoming dehydrated since he wasn't taking in as much water as was coming out of him, he had blood in his stool, and he was vomiting. I ended up calling the 24 hour emergency vet in our area at 3 o'clock in the morning. They told us that we needed to fast Remington for the next 24 hours, make sure he was drinking lots of water, and then feed him white rice and boiled chicken breast until the diarrhea passed.

The diarrhea continued until 10 o'clock the next morning. It was a long long night...

Once it stopped Remington slept practically the whole next day.


Today, Thursday, we are now past the worst of it. He is more like himself. He is still eating the white rice and chicken and then we will slowing start putting regular food back into his diet.


I can't tell you how thankful I am that this sickness has passed and we now have our healthy dog back. One of the worst things about being a Dog Mom is that dogs can't tell you what is wrong or how they feel. It is a very helpless feeling to not know how to get them better. So happy my boy is back to normal!

No comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS