Surgery is scary. It's scary when you have to go through it. It's scary when a beloved animal has to go through it. It's scary when a loved one has to go through it. But this week I learned a new kind of scary... the kind of scary when your child is having surgery. It shakes you. You can have the best doctors, be in the best facilities, have the best circumstances... but there is still that harsh reality that something could go wrong. There is this fear in the pit of your stomach because whatever happens is out of your control. Surgery is scary.

When Roarke was born we knew after he was just a day old that when he got close to a year he would need to have surgery. I've been dreading it ever since, but we were extremely lucky to find a doctor that really put our minds at ease on the procedure. Really, it was more the thought of this tiny human being having to be put under for a period of time than the actual surgery itself. But the days ticked by and slowly the day I had been dreading arrived.

Surgery was scheduled for 7:00 in the morning, but we had to be there no later than 6:00 to get Roarke prepped. I hated the thought of waking up my good sleeper at 5:15 because I just knew he was going to be a major crank. This boy loves his sleep and normally does not get up until 8:00 each morning. But much to my surprise he gave me no problems at all and was pleasant pretty much the entire day.

Once we arrived they took us back to a surgery room where a nurse took his vitals and proceeded to get him and us ready for what was in store. All the nurses were extremely nice. They were over the moon for Roarke and continued to tell us that they just could not believe what a calm and easy going boy he was. Believe me, I know how blessed we are!

Had to get his vitals from his chunky toe because his fingers were too small.

Looking handsome in his gown!

"Hmmmm what trouble can I get in to?"

Roarke's nurse gave him a toy to play with... and right in his mouth it went!

When it was time for Dan and I to leave Roarke's side I was a little concerned because he has been going through some separation/stranger anxiety lately. I figured once one of the nurses picked him up the tears would flow... but they didn't! Dan and I kissed him and he wrapped his little arms around his nurse like a brave little soul and away they went. This made it so much easier on me to know he wasn't scared... therefore I shouldn't be either.

Dan and I were in the waiting room for only a few hours, but goodness it felt more like an eternity. I felt so sick to my stomach not knowing what was going on and if Roarke was doing okay. What made it even worse was that half way through the surgery our doctor called the front desk to speak with me. He noticed something else during the surgery that he suggested we have taken care of while Roarke was under. It was actually kind of a blessing because if he had not seen it we probably would have been back in a year or two for another surgery to have that issue addressed. This extra procedure adding more time onto the surgery which kind of worried me because it meant more time that Roarke was under. You can imagine my relief once he was out of surgery and back in the recovery room.

And when I saw this boy with three nurses huddled over him giving him all sorts of love and cuddles I fell apart... mostly because I was relieved he was safe but also because I had been trying to hold it together most of the morning.

Some Pedialyte to rehydrate!

And cuddles from Momma...

And would you believe this boy didn't cry once! Not once during the entire thing! The nurses were amazed and when we finally left all they kept telling us was what a pleasure it was to take care of Roarke that morning. Seriously... could God have blessed me with a more perfect little human to raise?

We left the surgery center, stopped by Walgreens to pick up his prescriptions, and went straight home where Roarke fell into a deep sleep for the next four hours. When he woke up, he was super cranky but much more so himself. He played with his toys for a while, ate some applesauce, and took his pain meds and antibiotics (which he hated)... and was ready for bed again by 5:00! 

Now I just hope that he sleeps through the night without too much trouble!

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and prayers for the R-man. Hopefully he has a speedy recovery and is back to his normal self in no time!

No comments: