This month for my healthy meal I decided on Quinoa Stuffed Peppers. I really like quinoa a lot and I'm always trying to figure out different ways to include it in my meals. Plus, this is a good vegetarian meal that is still packed with protein. For my meal I left out the green chiles and feta cheese, but I included it in the ingredients here for those of you that might enjoy that.
Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (www.damndelicious.net)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chiles
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup petite diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more to taste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 bell peppers, tops cut, stemmed and seeded
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 baking dish with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine quinoa, green chiles, corn, beans, tomatoes, cheeses, cilantro, cumin, garlic, onion and chili powder, salt and pepper, to taste.
Spoon the filling each each bell pepper cavity. Place on prepared baking dish, cavity side up, and bake until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated through, about 25-30 minutes.
Honestly, I was surprised with how awesomely good these were. Quinoa by itself can be pretty plain, but the herbs and spices that were added to this made it delicious! Even Dan thought it was decent... for a no meat meal :) If I would do it again I wouldn't cook 3 cups of Quinoa... we had a ton of left overs which is okay by me, however, I only think you really need 1 1/2 cups. Hope you all get the chance to try this easy and healthy meal!