Nashville Day 2 & 3 : Fontanel Trails, Cheekwood, and Running

Dan, Remi and I were up early on Monday. It seems like when we’re on vacation I can’t sleep in, but when we’re at home and I actually have stuff to do I could sleep all day long!

Dan and I decided we were going to go to the Trails of Fontanel. Basically it is a 2.5 mile trail that takes you to the Fontanel Mansion. This is where Barbara Mandrel use to live. Anyways, the trails aren’t paved, but they are said to be well maintained. I took that as maybe they would be mulched or possibly have gravel covering them. Nope! Pure dirt… or when we were on them pure mud! Let’s just say we didn’t get far before we gave up and turned around. We did stop for lunch at the Fontanel Restaurant, which was really good.

When we got home, Dan was having serious allergy issues so he stayed in the cabin and I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging by the pool and reading magazines. 

Dan ended up staying inside most of the day. As long as he’s inside he’s okay, but right when he steps outside his eyes start watering and he begins sneezing like crazy. I feel really bad for him and it’s hard to do much of anything when he is feeling like that. He’s been a trooper and tried to do things even though he feels like crap.

I ended up going for a 4 mile run after dinner. There is a long driveway that leads up to our cabin. We drove it and figured out that it is .25 miles. I ended up running back and forth 16 times to make the four miles. I actually really enjoyed it. It is a nice slope down to the road and then you have to truck it back up the hill to get to the top. I’m not use to running hills so it was a real workout for me, but fun.

Going up!!

Going down..

There are two grated areas to keep the animals in that I had to be careful each time I crossed. 

Stupidly, on the way walking back to the cabin after my workout I twisted my ankle pretty good. It hurt enough that I had to stop and sit down afterward to see if it was okay. I’m pretty sure I didn’t do anything serious to it, but it sure was sore last night and today. I was ticked off to end such a great run with that.

On Tuesday Dan and I went to Cheekwood Botanical Gardens. This is a 55 acre area with beautiful gardens and artwork. Dan and I probably spent almost 3 hours roaming the grounds and taking it all in.

Some of the things we saw on the sculpture walk...

Beautiful lights made out of water bottles!

Different areas throughout the gardens...

Every night we have been taking Remington on a walk. We have been sticking close to the drive because we don’t want to have any more tick incidents.  Remington loves going on walks, but the hills definitely wear him out too. It’s always a nice time that the three of us get to be together each night and settle down from the day.

Dan has to carry Remington over the grated area...

Dan and I have our own way of relaxing after the day!

See ya soon!

No comments: