Post Anal Sacculectomy - Day 12 & 13

Day 12

OMG... Remington got sick for the first time after his surgery and I cannot even tell you how gross it was!  I have never seen his puke look like it did or had as much trouble cleaning it up!  I seriously thought that I was going to have a stain on my carpet.  Several rounds of Resolve and 20 minutes later I got the spot out.  I sure didn't expect to deal with that on Day 12... Day 4 or 5 maybe, but Day 12... no!  I'm not sure why it was so bad, maybe it was some of the meds getting out of his system?

Since we have started feeding him regular food again the bowel movements are much better and more on schedule like they use to be.  Big sigh of relief there!  He is still unsure of himself a little bit, but I think once those stitches come out tomorrow he'll feel more normal in that area.  I can't wait because I'm ready to take him on walks again and not be consistantly worrying about him messing up the surgery site.

Tomorrow we visit Dr. Swengel.  It will be interesting to hear what he has to say since he has not seen Remington since before the surgery.  Hopefully he is pleased with how things looked and turned out.

Day 13

We are having great bowel movements again!  Thank you Lord!  Never did I think I would be that person to analyze my dog's poop!  However, last night after Remington had his first really good one since the surgery I was outside with my camera phone taking pictures to send to Dan.  I know... I'm weird... but this surgery has taken a toll on us and to see something NORMAL come out of him is a HUGE SUCCESS for all of us in the family!  I will admit, I checked around the neighborhood to make sure the neighbors did not see me... (blush)! And... Dan was just as excited to receive the picture as I was to send it.

Right now Dan and Remington are at the vet getting Remington's incusion site checked and stitches removed!  YAY!  He is suppose to call me to tell me how it went.  I'm a little nervous about it... not gonna lie!

Well, just got a call from Dan... our use to be 80 lb dog is now down to 71.5 lbs!  YIKES!  Guess this was a good diet for him.  There were some left over stitches that were removed.  We also asked them to remove the glue that they had put over the stitches, which ended up actually being scabs!!!  They removed both scabs which caused some bleeding and told us to clean the area twice a day with a warm washcloth to stop the scabs from building up like that again.  Here we thought we had done a great job of keeping this area clean.  Sigh... Other than that Dr. Swengel said that everything looked really good and that it looks like the surgery was a complete success!  All we have to do now is keep the cone on his head for a few more days when we can't watch him and then we should be done with it!  HORRAY!  I'm so happy this whole thing is over with :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog entries about Remington's surgery--my beagle just had the anal sac surgery today and I was looking for information about what to expect in the coming days. Thank you for posting! I'm glad your dog is doing better.

Partners in Crime said...

So happy this might help you! Good luck!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting Remington's post-surgery progress. Our Walker Hound is 4 days post-op and I can relate to every emotion you were going through! Kisses to Remington from Chancie!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this blog!!! I have a GSD who has been having anal sac problems since I adopted him 9 months ago, and I'm pretty sure when I bring him in tomorrow for what looks like yet another infection, they will be talking to me about total removal. This makes me feel like it's doable...not fun or easy, but doable. I live in Chicago, so maybe I'll be able to get the same surgeon you had, or at least one in the same practice if I don't find an experienced one here. Thank you!!!

Partners in Crime said...

Rebecca if you need advice please contact me :)

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS