Anal Sacculectomy Finished!

Remington went in for surgery today (Thursday) at 11:30 in the morning.  I got a call from the vet doing the surgery at a little after 2:00 in the afternoon saying that they had just finished up, so he must have went in later than expected.  The surgeon said that everything went very smoothly.  They were able to remove both anal glands with no problems.  They did have a little more bleeding than expected, but nothing to worry about.  This is a huge weight off our shoulders!  I feel like I can breathe again!

At 3:35 in the afternoon, Brandy called me to tell me Remington was awake.  I felt so happy to hear this because for the past couple of nights I have been having dreams about him not waking up after the surgery.  However, my happiness was short lived because then she told me that Remington was in quite a bit of pain and she was giving him pain meds to manage it.  My heart dropped and my happiness started to crumble a bit.  I'm not real sure why because of course we knew this was going to be an extremely painful recovery, but it is hard to feel like you are the one who caused this pain for him. I have spent much of the evening crying and thinking if this was in fact the right thing to do for him.

So far we have made it past the surgery, but now the hardest part starts... his recovery.  We will spend the next few days dealing with his extreme pain and waiting to see if he has control of his bowel movements.  I won't lie... I'm more scared now waiting to see if this whole thing was worth it.

No comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS