Week #7 of Kendra's Cooking Challenge: Low Fat Baked Ziti w/ Spinach

I know it may seem like I just made something... but I actually made the cake last week and didn't get it posted until this week.  So I'm due this week for another meal :)  Since Dan is working during the evenings I'm mostly by myself for dinner time.  I figured I would make something that would last me for a while since when I'm alone I have a habit of going to get fast food or or just eating cereal.

Low Fat Baked Ziti with Spinach (www.skinnytaste.com)

Ingredients

  • 1 lb high fiber ziti such as Ronzoni Smart Taste
  • 28 oz crushed tomatoes
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic,minced
  • 10 oz fresh spinach
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
  • salt and fresh pepper to taste
  • 8 oz fat-free ricotta
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan
  • 2 cups (8 oz) part skim mozzarella
  • Spray olive oil
Preheat oven to 375°. Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with oil spray.

In a large pot of salted water, cook pasta according to instructions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, add olive oil and sauté garlic. Add fresh spinach, salt pepper and crushed tomatoes. Season with basil, oregano, salt and pepper.





Add sauce to the pasta and combine the ziti. Add half of the mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and ricotta. Mix well then transfer to the baking pan.



Pour the pasta mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly. Top with the remaining mozzarella.




Bake for 30 minutes, or until mozzarella is melted and the edges are lightly browned. 


Tada!!!!!

Dan will probably not get a chance to rate this meal, so I guess I'll do it.  I would rate it an 8.  I enjoy making bigger size meals for Dan and I because then the leftovers last for a while, which means no cooking!  It's odd, since I've started this challenge, my chef of a husband no longer cooks... what is up with that? My friend Debbie warned me this would happen.  I was much better off claiming I had no cooking skills what so ever.

P.S. Dan just texted me and rated it a "STRONG 8!"

No comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS