Week #6 of Kendra's Cooking Challenge: Hummingbird Cake w/ Cream Cheese Frosting

This was my first EVER attempt at making a layered cake.  Even though it tasted okay and everything went pretty smoothly... there are a few things I would do differently next time to improve the "looks" of the cake. This is the most requested recipe in Southern Living Magazine... after trying it, I have to admit... it was good, but I wouldn't say THAT good :)  The cake is very very sweet and also heavy!  You can't eat more than a tiny piece without having enough.  Plus there is 700 calories in just one piece of this cake!  YIKES!  However, I'm ready for another go at a layered cake, just not this one.

Hummingbird Cake (www.myrecipes.com)

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 3 large eggs (beaten)
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 8 oz can of crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 cups chopped bananas
Combine first 5 ingredients in large bowl.


Add eggs and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do NOT beat)


Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.


Pour batter into three greased and floured 9 inch round cakepans. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.


Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minute; remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.


Spread cream cheese frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake, sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.


Store in refridgerator. 

Cream Cheese Frosting (www.myrecipes.com)

Ingredients

  • 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
  • 16 oz package powdered sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed with mixer until smooth.


Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.

Stir in vanilla.

What would I do differently next time?  Well, first I wouldn't be so scared to use the icing.  I would have put more between the layers of cake.  I didn't do that this time because I was afraid I was going to run out and not have enough to ice the entire cake. Secondly, I could not for the life of me figure out why the sides of the cake weren't straight.  I asked my cousin Leslie's grandmother (she is the queen of layered cakes in our family) what I did wrong.  She told me I need to cut the top off of each cake that has raised up.  Once I do this then it would straighten things out a bit.

What's the rating of this cake... Dan rated it an 8.  I have to admit, I was kind of disappointed since this masterpiece took a lot of work.  BLAH!  Better luck next time I suppose.

No comments:

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS